My parents have been really troubled of late, concerning my total disregard of the rituals of "my" religion. I showered curses while climbing a long plight of about 300 steps, which "Hindu" people from all around the world come and climb willingly to have a "glimpse" of one of the numerous deities, and hence I should ditto them. As a result of that, I received a "curse" from "Him/Her" for my behavior in the form of getting a deep cut on my right hand... There have many more of such incidents of late. My belief in God and my being a "Hindu" has been of public debate in the family.
In this post, I'll clarify and justify why I did all that I did. Also, will introduce you to my religion, in which I believe I don't go astray from what the Gita or the holy scriptures of our religion says. To begin with, I had always wondered and questioned with equal awe, the extents that people could reach in search of God. They can traverse rough, long miles, barefoot. They can climb heights high. They can conquer the vast waters. And all these and many more, in search of God! And God? The clay-made, bronze-made, gold-made, silver-made, platinum-made idols? The funniest thing that has been intriguing me since my childhood is that, people know how God looks! All the flowers that we offer at the idol's feet, reached the Gods in heaven! I wonder and can't do a thing more than wonder...
Durga Puja is one of the most important "festivals" of the bengalees. Indeed, the word puja that follows the name of the deity is of little or no significance at all. We don't worship, do we? We have Brahmins having special training in the "Art" of worshiping, who have mugged a few lines in Sanskrit doing the "puja" and all the rest, go about pandal-hopping. It is indeed when people get to wear new clothes. The rich clear their wardrobe for the poor, and then buy a couple for themselves(so much so that they have a new set every morning and evening of the days of "puja"). It is also a time for reunion for many. As for the worship bit, all we do is repeat the lines in Sanskrit after the specially-trained Brahmins, and that is indeed all we do.
My questions arise. Is God residing in those religious spots only? Are Brahmins the only people who have the right to pray? My questions have never been answered. God to me is one, and omnipotent. Religion to me is one that binds every human being together. From my views, "Hindu" people do have every right to socially sideline me and curse me, but I got some answer for them too. No, I'm not the atheist that does not believe in the existence of God. No I'm not that agnostic that is unsure of God's existence either. I do have a religion.
I worship music. It is my religion, it is my God. It is present in every corner of the world, among people of every caste, creed, sect, sex and "religion." Music has its kind, its types. But music in a word covers all its varieties. Its speaks to people. the different tunes and ragas, have different emotions. Music, though comprises seven notes, and nothing beyond, is infinite. It is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. It understands people, people understand it.
I don't find that inner peace of praying, or the satisfaction of completeness, or even the peace of mind at a religious spot, but every time I touch the six-strings despite all the pains in my finger, and utter the notes my heart feels to utter, I feel detached from everything on earth. Life, death, mirth, sorrow, none affects me. I can feel, i can dream, i can love, i can hate, i can laugh, i can weep, all when I sing. That is the way my God listens to me. That is the way my fellow human beings listen to me. Yes, that is my religion, that is my God. And that is music...
Religion my friend, is entirely subjective. It is what you want to make it. I, for one believe that God dwells within us and not in some temple or church in the different corner of the planet. Anyway, nice post, keep it up :)
ReplyDelete